FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailTuelekZa/iStock(NEW YORK) — The NBA has suspended its season due to the novel coronavirus outbreak.The announcement came after a confusing mid-game suspension of play between the Utah Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder. The NBA announced a player tested positive for coronavirus, and said it will now be indefinitely halting games following Wednesday night’s schedule.“The NBA announced that a player on the Utah Jazz has preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19,” the league said in a statement. “The test result was reported shortly prior to the tip-off of tonight’s game between the Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder at Chesapeake Energy Arena. At that time, tonight’s game was canceled. The affected player was not in the arena.”“The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of tonight’s schedule of games until further notice,” it added. “The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.”ESPN NBA reporter Adrian Wojnarowski reported Rudy Gobert was the player from the Jazz who tested positive. The center was an All Star for Utah in 2020.The league had discussed playing games in empty arenas, a decision star LeBron James previously had spoken out against.“Man we cancelling sporting events, school, office work, etc etc. What we really need to cancel is 2020!” James tweeted following the news of the league-wide suspension. “Damn it’s been a rough 3 months. God bless and stay safe.”Likely future NBA Hall of Famer Vince Carter was planning to retire at the end of the season, which could mean his career abruptly ended Wednesday.“I’m appreciative,” Carter said, fighting back tears during a post-game press conference. “… The game’s been good.”“Such a weird night but I am truly thankful for each and every person during this 22yr journey,” Carter later tweeted. “If this is really it, I thank everyone for your love and support for all these years.”On Wednesday, Golden State Warriors guard Steph Curry responded to reports games at the Chase Center in San Francisco would be played without fans after the mayor banned gatherings over 1,000 people.“Everything about our routines is reliant upon that kind of game day energy. Pulling up to the arena, seeing fans outside of Chase [Center] walking around in all the Warrior jerseys, even energy in the building, you can feel it all the way through the locker room, through the tunnel,” Curry said at practice. “The only thing is try to have a conversation about how you raise your level of intensity from the jump because you don’t have that actual adrenaline rush of playing in front of 18,000 people like that.”Most NBA teams had about 15 to 20 games left. The regular season was set to end April 15 with the playoffs to begin three days later.The NCAA said earlier in the day that all of its basketball tournament games would be played without fans.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved. Written by March 12, 2020 /Sports News – National NBA suspends season due to coronavirus Beau Lund
The US energy company AES Corporation, has entered into agreements to sell its interests in six power plants in Jordan and the United Kingdom for total proceeds of $211 million, as it shifts focus to LNG.In Jordan, AES agreed to sell two operational thermal power plants and one solar plant under construction for a total of 683 MW to Nebras Power Investment Management, a unit of Nebras Power and Mitsui and Co.In the United Kingdom, AES agreed to sell two operational thermal power plants and one operational energy storage facility for a total of 1,419 MW to Energetický a Průmyslový Holding (EPH), the company said in a statement.Andrés Gluski, AES president and CEO, said, “in line with our business strategy, we continue to reduce the number of countries in which we operate and focus our growth efforts in fewer markets, and especially in renewables, energy storage and LNG.”These transactions are expected to close later this year. The sale in Jordan is subject to approvals from project lenders and the sale in the United Kingdom is subject to regulatory approval by the European Commission.In Jordan, AES agreed to sell its 36 percent interest in the 381 MW Amman East gas-fired power plant, the 250 MW IPP4 oil-fired power plant and the 52 MW AM Solar project, which is currently under construction.In the United Kingdom, AES agreed to sell its 100 percent interest in the 708 MW Ballylumford gas-fired power plant and its 99 percent interest in the 701 MW Kilroot coal- and oil-fired power plant, as well as the 10 MW Kilroot Energy Storage facility.
Preston Henn, founder of one of South Florida’s most popular flea market has died of natural causes at the age of 86, his attorney told Local 10 News.Preston Henn died of natural causes Sunday at his Hillsbro Beach home, Henn’s Fort Lauderdale attorney, Bruce Rogow, confirmed.Henn founded the Swap Shop in 1963. Today, it is home to many Caribbean delicacies. The organic markets of the Swap Shop resemble a lot of the market places found in the Caribbean. It is the ideal place to go and find ground provisions, fruits like sugar cane, sugar apples, sapodillas and more. Local vendors at the flea market work toward providing household items that are usually only found in the Caribbean like Dutch styled cooking pots and wash boards. Apart from the market, the Swap Shop is home to many forms of entertainment for the entire family. The Swap Shop is famous for its 14-screen drive-in theater, which is the largest drive in and largest daily flea market in the world. From the fruit market to Caribbean flags, the Swap shop is home away from home for many Caribbean people.
“He got the security to let him in, and he said, ‘Man, you had a heck of a season,’” Mahomes said during an appearance on the “Tonight Show” with Jimmy Fallon. “He knows what it’s like to win a lot of big games. He knows what it’s like to lose some big games — not many, but a few. So, he just said, ‘You have to keep grinding.’ He said he loved the way that I played.”Mahomes had previously discussed the encounter during an interview with “NFL Live.” Related News NFL trade rumors: Patriots, 2 other teams ‘very interested’ in Josh Rosen Patriots top 2019 projected NFL win totals; Browns make big jump Tom Brady spoke with Patrick Mahomes after the AFC championship game.More than two months after the Chiefs’ 37-31 overtime loss to the Patriots, Mahomes revealed the advice the longtime New England quarterback gave him during that meeting. “I just got put in a great spot. It’s truly humbling to be a part of a group like this.”Meanwhile, Brady went on to lead the Patriots to a victory over the Rams in Super Bowl 53. It was his sixth career championship. Brady has made 14 Pro Bowls and won three MVP awards, as well. “It was such a great game with so many emotions where it was going back and forth at the end,” Mahomes said at the time. “He just came up to me and was kind of giving me, saying, ‘Good game,’ and everything like that.”Mahomes had a breakout season and became a star for the Chiefs in 2018. He threw for 5,097 yards with 50 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in 16 regular-season games.The 23-year-old was named the NFL MVP in early February.“It’s an amazing feeling,” Mahomes said about the MVP. “But it’s a credit to all those guys I play with. It’s not just me. I got the trophy, but it’s this team that was so special and the reason why I got it. It’s a credit to being in a great situation and having great coaches around me.
Shearer blasts Everton goalkeeper Pickford: Disgusting!by Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer England captain Alan Shearer blasted Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford for his challenge on Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli on Sunday.In the closing stages of the first-half, Alli was played through on goal only to be adjudged by the linesman.However, as the referee blew his whistle for the infringement, Pickford dangerously dived two-footed into his England team-mate in a tackle that could have led to a serious injury.Shearer, who scored 260 Premier League goals during his career, did not hold back on his opinion of the incident.He tweeted: “Disgusting challenge from @JPickford1 on @dele_official. Should have been a red card. Pickford lucky Dele didn’t react.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid maintain watching brief for Sevilla midfielder Pablo Sarabiaby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid are maintaining a watching brief on Sevilla midfielder Pablo Sarabia.The former Castilla star is under consideration at Real as a 2019 signing, says AS.With 18 months left on his current deal, Sevilla find themselves in the position of needing to sell this year if they wish to make money from Sarabia’s departure.The 26 year-old’s deal carries an affordable €18m buyout clause.At Real, they see Sarabia as a natural successor for veteran midfield schemer Luka Modric – or as a replacement for Isco.And thanks to his time at Real, there would be a smooth transition as he is good friends with Dani Carvajal and Nacho.
NEW ORLEANS, LA – JANUARY 09: Head coach Nick Saban of the Alabama Crimson Tide takes the field before playing against the Louisiana State University Tigers in the 2012 Allstate BCS National Championship Game at Mercedes-Benz Superdome on January 9, 2012 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)As you’d imagine, the photos and video taken at Kristen Saban’s wedding this past Saturday have provided a treasure trove’s worth of content for Alabama fans. So far, we’ve shown you the fireworks at Bryant-Denny, the “Sweet Home Alabama” rendition and the happy couple dancing with Big Al mascot heads. But we saved perhaps the best clip of all for last.Here’s Nick Saban dancing to some greek folk music – presumably to celebrate the heritage of his daughter’s husband.We’ve seen him do the Electric Slide and the Cupid Shuffle. This might be the best we’ve seen yet from him, however.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The City of Fort St. John has received an application for a non-medical cannabis retail store.West Coast Retail Holdings is seeking approval for a license to operate a store in Fort St. John.The proposed store is to be located at 9831 – 98 A Avenue and is located in the allowable area of the City’s C-2 Zone for a cannabis retail store. City Staff is recommending that Council approves the application as there are no concerns to it operating in the proposed location.Within the application, the applicant is seeking to operate the store from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., seven days a week.The hours of operation are within the timeframe permitted under the CannabisLicensing Regulation, 202/2018.The application was filed to the City on February 5, 2019.Council will decide approval of the store at the next Council Meeting on March 11.
The Forest and Range Practices Act governs on-the-ground forest and range activities on B.C.’s public forests and rangelands.According to the Government, feedback from the engagement process will inform changes to the Forest and Range Practices Act and regulations that are planned over the next two years.Feedback can be provided until July 15, 2019.Feedback forms are available online through the Government of B.C.’s website. VICTORIA, B.C. – The Government of B.C. is seeking public input for improving the Forest and Range Practices Act.Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, Doug Donaldson, says making changes to the Act will help strengthen the Government’s oversight of the forest sector and improve forest management.“Making changes to the act is essential to strengthen the Government’s oversight of the forest sector and improve public trust in how our forests and rangelands are managed. We want to improve the legislation to ensure it will continue to sustainably manage our forests and rangelands in the face of climate change.”
New Delhi: The May 23 is going to be very crucial for the Congress and its cadres as the results of the Lok Sabha election 2019 would play a decisive role in Congress president Rahul Gandhi’s total reshuffle plan of All India Congress Committee (AICC).According to party insiders, there would be a total overhauling of the AICC office-bearers after the Lok Sabha elections. “It’s not yet clear that the results of Lok Sabha elections would go in favour of Congress or not, but it’s very imminent that the AICC get a major reshuffle soon after the announcement of poll results. The Congress president has expressed his willingness to revamp the party’s committees by putting more responsibilities on the shoulders of leaders of the young generation,” a senior party leader told Millennium Post. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh”The reshuffle would of a mass level. All the ‘non-performing’ AICC functionaries would be changed with a new and vibrant team,” the official said, adding that general secretaries would be empowered with more decision-making rights. “The party’s old guards may be given ‘comfortable’ responsibilities to avoid any conflict of interests with the party. The objective of the AICC overhauling would be aimed at making Congress a party of the nation,” the party official said, adding that several state presidents of the party would be replaced with leaders of performing records.