Aug 31, 2009H1N1 cases may strain ICUs this winterExperience to date suggests that the novel H1N1 flu may put a heavy burden on intensive care units (ICUs) in coming months, said critical care specialists quoted in a Canadian Press report today. ICUs in some of the hospitals hit hardest by virus nearly ran out of specialized equipment and skilled staff. The Public Health Agency of Canada has scheduled a meeting this week in Winnipeg to discuss the problem.http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9013059.htmlAug 31 Canadian Press storyMexico predicts 1 million cases in next flu waveMexico’s government projects that 1 million of its citizens will become ill this winter with the novel H1N1 virus, the Latin American Herald Tribune reported today. The country’s health secretary, Jose Angel Cordova, said on Aug 28 that the number of cases is stable for now, with about 80 to 100 infections reported each day. He said the government is working on emergency plans on school closures, social distancing measures, and hospital preparations.http://laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=342571&CategoryId=14091Aug 31 Latin American Herald Tribune storyWHO chief: H1N1 spreads at ‘unbelievable’ speedDr. Margaret Chan, head of the World Health Organization, told France’s Le Monde newspaper that the novel H1N1 virus “spreads at an unbelievable, almost unheard-of speed,” according to an Aug 29 Agence France-Presse (AFP) story. She said the virus can travel as far in 6 weeks as other viruses travel in 6 months and estimated that up to 30% of people in densely populated countries are at risk for infection. Chan also noted that about 40% of deaths are in previously healthy young adults.http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090829/hl_afp/healthfluwho_20090829132344Aug 29 AFP storyColombia’s president ill with pandemic fluColombian President Alvaro Uribe became ill with flulike symptoms on Aug 28 while addressing South American leaders at a summit in Argentina and was diagnosed yesterday as having the pandemic H1N1 virus, The Guardian reported today. He has continued working in partial isolation via phone and internet. So far no illnesses have been reported in other leaders or in Uribe’s travel group.http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/31/uribe-alvaro-colombia-swine-fluAug 31 Guardian storyHHS opens public vote for flu-prevention videoThe US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has invited the public to help pick the best video in its Flu Prevention Public Service Announcement (PSA) Contest. The top 10 videos, chosen from among 240 entries, have been posted on YouTube, and the public is invited to view the 30-second spots and vote their choice. The winner will receive $2,500 and see the video broadcast on national television.http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2009pres/08/20090829a.htmlAug 31 HHS news release with link to PSAsKuwait postpones kindergarten startKuwait’s education ministry said yesterday that the country will delay opening kindergartens for 2 months to curb the spread of the novel H1N1 virus, AFP reported today. The measure will also apply to nurseries and schools that serve students with special needs. Other schools will reopen at the usual time, the last week of September.http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=312015&version=1&template_id=37&parent_id=17Aug 31 AFP storyCVS stores to offer seasonal flu vaccineThe CVS pharmacy chain today announced that seasonal flu vaccine will be available starting tomorrow at 500 of its stores, according to a company press release. Vaccine will be available to adults and children over 18 months without an appointment. The chain said it will host about 9,000 flu clinic events starting Sep 15. With novel H1N1 vaccine expected to reach providers in October, the US CDC has said that people should receive the seasonal vaccine as soon as it’s available.http://info.cvscaremark.com/newsroom/press-releases/cvspharmacy-and-minuteclinic-encourage-americans-protect-themselves-early-seAug 31 CVS/Caremark press release
LiverpoolAfter a first league title in 30 years, Liverpool’s challenge will change radically. The club have freed themselves from the burden of history but must ensure the 2020/21 season does not become a huge anti-climax.A lack of fresh blood for the second consecutive season is a risk for Jurgen Klopp’s men, who have amassed 196 points over the past two seasons.Left-back Kostas Tsimikas is the only addition so far, as back up to Andy Robertson. ChelseaBy far the biggest spenders of the transfer window across Europe, the Blues have splashed out nearly £200 million on Werner, Kai Havertz, Hakim Ziyech and Ben Chilwell and bolstered a leaky defense with the signing of former PSG and Brazil captain Thiago Silva on a free transfer.More could still be to come with Rennes’ Edouard Mendy reportedly top of Chelsea’s list in their hunt for a new goalkeeper.Frank Lampard achieved his main goal during his first season in charge by securing a place in the Champions League despite a transfer ban and the loss of Eden Hazard to Real Madrid.But expectations on the former England international will be far higher this season as owner Roman Abramovich will demand to see a return on his investment.Lampard cannot afford for the attacking talents of Werner, Havertz and Ziyech to take their time to adjust to the Premier League.However, most importantly, he must find the right balance to improve a defense that conceded 54 goals last season, more than any other side in the top half of the table. Topics : The financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic meant the arrival of Timo Werner never transpired as the German instead headed for Chelsea, again leaving Liverpool with little as back-up for the front three of Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane.However, ahead of a season that will offer precious little time for respite, Klopp has at least had longer to prepare his squad, with his three major title rivals involved in European action in August. Manchester United United shot up to third in the second half of last season on the back of a 14-game unbeaten run in the Premier League after the January signing of Bruno Fernandes.A flourishing young front three of Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Mason Greenwood and more midfield depth with the signing of Donny van de Beek offers United some hope that they will not be left in the shade of their two biggest rivals, Liverpool and City, for much longer.However, the manner in which Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men ended the season in mid-August, physically exhausted after a Europa League semi-final defeat to Sevilla, raises questions over whether they can maintain a title challenge in a crammed calendar over the next nine months.An ambitious attempt to land Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund has stalled, leaving Solskjaer short on options beyond his preferred front three, while there is also a lack of cover in defense. Liverpool and Manchester City remain the teams to beat after three seasons of total dominance but a rejuvenated Manchester United and free-spending Chelsea could force themselves into a four-way race for the title.AFP Sport looks at how last season’s top four are shaping up ahead of the new season. Manchester CityCity will not have Lionel Messi to take the title fight to Liverpool after the Argentine opted to remain in Barcelona, but it is at the other end of the pitch that Pep Guardiola’s men needed to improve anyway to bounce back from a disappointing campaign.Despite scoring 17 more goals than Liverpool, the dethroned champions finished 18 points behind in second last season.One addition to the defense has already been made, with the £40 million ($52 million) signing of Nathan Ake from Bournemouth to provide cover at center-back and left-back.A marquee central defender is expected to arrive at the Etihad before the window closes in October, with Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly top of their wishlist.Spanish international Ferran Torres had been added to a stellar cast of attacking talent to replace Leroy Sane, while David Silva’s departure opens the door for 20-year-old Phil Foden to build on his impressive performances in the final stretch of last season.City could be distracted by their desire to finally claim the Champions League in what could be Guardiola’s final season in charge.The Catalan is entering the final year of his contract and has been heavily criticized for failing to get City beyond the quarter-finals of Europe’s top club competition over the past four years.
Shamar Nicholson scored in his fourth successive match to give Boys’ Town their first win in five matches in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL), beating newcomers and former table-toppers Jamalco 1-0 at The Barbican Sports Complex, yesterday.The lanky striker, who scored in successive losing efforts against Harbour View, Montego Bay United and Portmore United, finally saw his goal give his team some much-needed points and he said there is more to come.”It’s a good feeling, knowing we lost our four games and to come and win the fifth game and get the MVP is a good feeling. You can’t imagine how I feel!” he told The Gleaner.The 19-year-old, who is in his third season in the RSPL, says he feels at home in the league, and with his team relying heavily on him to get goals and points, he expects to carry on his form and continue to deliver through the season.”I expected this performance because, throughout the pre-season, it was just hard work and this just don’t come like this. It takes hard work. My team is looking up to me a lot and I have been doing the job, but we have been making basic mistakes, but we are working on correcting those errors. So you can expect better from Boys’ Town,” he said.Boys’ Town started brightly and were rewarded for their early spark when Nicholson turned his marker and unleashed a well-placed shot past Levar Williams in the seventh minuteOVER THE TARGETJamalco eventually came into their own and created a few openings, the best of which fell to Akeem Henry on top of the area, but he placed his effort just over the target.Nicholson continued to be Boys’ Town’s biggest threat after the break, forcing Williams into a diving save from Xavian Virgo on 58 minutes, then curling a shot just wide minutes later, before heading just wide of the target from a corner. However, they held off wave after wave of attacks from the visitors, although goalkeeper Kirk Porter was rarely threatened despite Boys’ Town being on the back foot.Boys’ Town coach Andrew Price believes the win was long in coming and complimented his team on their collective work defensively.”I told them as long as we start getting clean sheets, we are going to start winning games … and we defended well collectively,” he said.He also praised Nicholson for stepping up, but issued a hands-off warning to local suitors who might be thinking of prying away the young striker in the January window.”He’s a big player. I told him that being the top striker on our team, he has to get goals. Every game he should get one goal, and if he can get two or three, which he should, then that would be a plus. But there are always going to be suitors (local), but we will only be looking at offers from overseas,” he said.