H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: ICU strain, Chan on speed of spread, Mexico’s projections, Colombia’s chief ill, flu video vote

first_imgAug 31, 2009H1N1 cases may strain ICUs this winterExperience to date suggests that the novel H1N1 flu may put a heavy burden on intensive care units (ICUs) in coming months, said critical care specialists quoted in a Canadian Press report today. ICUs in some of the hospitals hit hardest by virus nearly ran out of specialized equipment and skilled staff. The Public Health Agency of Canada has scheduled a meeting this week in Winnipeg to discuss the problem.http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9013059.htmlAug 31 Canadian Press storyMexico predicts 1 million cases in next flu waveMexico’s government projects that 1 million of its citizens will become ill this winter with the novel H1N1 virus, the Latin American Herald Tribune reported today. The country’s health secretary, Jose Angel Cordova, said on Aug 28 that the number of cases is stable for now, with about 80 to 100 infections reported each day. He said the government is working on emergency plans on school closures, social distancing measures, and hospital preparations.http://laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=342571&CategoryId=14091Aug 31 Latin American Herald Tribune storyWHO chief: H1N1 spreads at ‘unbelievable’ speedDr. Margaret Chan, head of the World Health Organization, told France’s Le Monde newspaper that the novel H1N1 virus “spreads at an unbelievable, almost unheard-of speed,” according to an Aug 29 Agence France-Presse (AFP) story. She said the virus can travel as far in 6 weeks as other viruses travel in 6 months and estimated that up to 30% of people in densely populated countries are at risk for infection. Chan also noted that about 40% of deaths are in previously healthy young adults.http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090829/hl_afp/healthfluwho_20090829132344Aug 29 AFP storyColombia’s president ill with pandemic fluColombian President Alvaro Uribe became ill with flulike symptoms on Aug 28 while addressing South American leaders at a summit in Argentina and was diagnosed yesterday as having the pandemic H1N1 virus, The Guardian reported today. He has continued working in partial isolation via phone and internet. So far no illnesses have been reported in other leaders or in Uribe’s travel group.http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/31/uribe-alvaro-colombia-swine-fluAug 31 Guardian storyHHS opens public vote for flu-prevention videoThe US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has invited the public to help pick the best video in its Flu Prevention Public Service Announcement (PSA) Contest. The top 10 videos, chosen from among 240 entries, have been posted on YouTube, and the public is invited to view the 30-second spots and vote their choice. The winner will receive $2,500 and see the video broadcast on national television.http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2009pres/08/20090829a.htmlAug 31 HHS news release with link to PSAsKuwait postpones kindergarten startKuwait’s education ministry said yesterday that the country will delay opening kindergartens for 2 months to curb the spread of the novel H1N1 virus, AFP reported today. The measure will also apply to nurseries and schools that serve students with special needs. Other schools will reopen at the usual time, the last week of September.http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=312015&version=1&template_id=37&parent_id=17Aug 31 AFP storyCVS stores to offer seasonal flu vaccineThe CVS pharmacy chain today announced that seasonal flu vaccine will be available starting tomorrow at 500 of its stores, according to a company press release. Vaccine will be available to adults and children over 18 months without an appointment. The chain said it will host about 9,000 flu clinic events starting Sep 15. With novel H1N1 vaccine expected to reach providers in October, the US CDC has said that people should receive the seasonal vaccine as soon as it’s available.http://info.cvscaremark.com/newsroom/press-releases/cvspharmacy-and-minuteclinic-encourage-americans-protect-themselves-early-seAug 31 CVS/Caremark press releaselast_img read more

Player exits likely – Rodgers

first_imgLiverpool manager Brendan Rodgers expects some of his fringe players to leave before the end of the transfer window, having told everyone in his squad where they stand this season. “You see everything settle within the squad once the window is shut because people can then focus on their professional life and life with their families as well.” However, while he is happy to let some players go Rodgers insists the likes of Moreno and Lazar Markovic, brought in last summer for £12million and £20million respectively, still have a part to play this campaign. “Both players are very talented players,” he said. “Maybe for the first time in their footballing careers – especially as they are so young – they are finding themselves not being a regular. “They know very well, with the conversations we have had, it is a long, tough season and they will be needed and when the opportunity comes you take that and keep yourself in the team. “There is no player here that hasn’t been told that.” The future of midfielder Lucas Leiva is also in doubt as he was left out of the squad at the Britannia Stadium with reports claiming he had fallen out with the manager. Of that quartet, the Brazil international will be the easiest to offload – Enrique, Balotelli and, to a lesser extent, Borini are reluctant to give up their significant wages – with a number of Italian clubs interested, and, while Rodgers was not definitive on names, he accepts some will want out if they view their chances as limited for this campaign. “It is natural at this stage of the season there will be moves for sure for some players,” he said. “What is clear is that every player is understanding of exactly where he stands in the squad. “The spirit is strong but of course it is a difficult situation with the transfer market still being open until the end of the month. “There is always going to be that speculation but I am sure there will be movement of some of the players that obviously want to play.” Rodgers, who has done his business early with seven signings brought in before the Barclays Premier League kicked off, is not a fan of the transfer window extending into the season because of the unsettling nature it can have on players. “There is obviously a sport issue but there is also a moral issue once the season starts – players are unsure where they stand and it is a very difficult time for them,” the Northern Irishman added. Despite a good opening win at Stoke, much of this week has seen some of those who were not involved in the game air their frustrations in the media, with l eft-backs Alberto Moreno and Jose Enrique both giving interviews to the Spanish press. Enrique, who claimed he , Fabio Borini and Mario Balotelli had been “alienated” by Rodgers having been made to train separately from the main squad, seems one of the likely exits. Press Associationlast_img read more