Cong. worker murdered in Ghatkopar, party cries foul

first_imgMumbai: A 45-year-old Congress worker was allegedly murdered at Asalfa in Ghatkopar on Monday morning. While the Congress has called it a political murder and an attack on democracy, the Saki Naka police believe the victim was killed in a road rage incident. Manoj Dubey used to stay with his family in Shivaji Nagar of Asalfa. Dubey, the police said, was found in a severely injured condition near Asalfa Metro station around 1.30 a.m., and was rushed to Rajawadi Hospital, where he died during treatment. After Dubey was identified based on some documents on his person, the police contacted his family.“Dubey’s family told us that he had got into an argument on Facebook after he put up a status saying the next government would be formed by the Congress, which attracted the ire of some local Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers. On Sunday evening, Dubey and a BJP functionary came to the police station and Dubey registered a non-cognisable complaint against the people threatening him. To the best of our knowledge, the matter ended there,” an officer at Saki Naka police station said. Inquiries established that Dubey left his residence after midnight on Sunday to meet someone, and got involved in an accident. “We have found eyewitnesses who saw Dubey drive on the wrong side of the road and hit another car, after which an argument ensued between Dubey and the car owner. Dubey’s murder seems to have occurred during this argument, although we are verifying whether the people threatening him could be behind it,” the officer said. Meanwhile, calling it a murder of democracy, Maharashtra Congress president Ashok Chavan said the BJP has brought in a new tactic of eliminating political rivals by murdering them. “This is not only the murder of a Congress worker but that of democracy. Our nation follows the tradition of discussion over differing views. Goons of the BJP murdered Dubey over his Facebook post,” Mr. Chavan said. Mumbai Congress president Sanjay Nirupam slammed the BJP and demanded action against its party workers involved in the crime. Leader of Opposition Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil said the murder of the Congress activist merely over a Facebook post is absolutely shameful. “Is this State run by the law or goons?” he asked. BJP denies allegationReacting to the allegation, Mumbai BJP president Ashish Shelar said the government is doing its duty and an FIR has been filed against the accused. “None of them are BJP office-bearers. Above all, the police are investigating. Merely an allegation by the Congress does not prove anything. The law will take its own course,” Mr. Shelar said. Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone X) N.D. Reddy said, “An FIR of murder against unknown persons under the IPC has been registered, and several suspects are being questioned.”last_img read more

Ryan Bader KOs Fedor Emelianenko in 35 seconds for Bellator heavyweight belt

first_imgSurging Tennessee beats West Virginia for 14th straight win US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Bader comfortably won his first two Grand Prix fights, stopping Muhammed Lawal and earning a decision over Matt Mitrione.The vaunted wrestler has been known to make mistakes in striking exchanges during his bouts, but he didn’t even give Fedor a chance to hurt him.Emelianenko has always made up for his lack of heavyweight size with quickness and athleticism, but he was stopped for the fourth time in his last 11 fights.Emelianenko and Bader won two fights apiece to reach the final of the tournament conceived last year by Bellator to highlight its biggest stars.Emelianenko stopped veterans Frank Mir and Chael Sonnen in the first round of his fights, demonstrating his feared punching power hadn’t diminished much with age.ADVERTISEMENT Bader added the heavyweight title to his 205-pound light heavyweight belt with his seventh consecutive victory. The former Arizona State wrestler showed his dominance in Bellator’s biggest weight classes with two opening-minute stoppages while winning his three bouts in the eight-man Grand Prix.The quickest loss in the 42-year-old Emelianenko’s storied career also might have been his final fight. Although he had won seven of his past eight bouts, The Last Emperor (38-6) planned to consider retirement even with a victory — and his chin could no longer hold up to punches from the likes of Bader.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“I want to give it up to that man across the cage from me,” Bader said. “He’s had a storied career. One of the best to ever do it. It’s an honor for me to be in the cage with him and win the heavyweight title. Lot of respect to him.”The 35-year-old Bader is one of the world’s top fighters outside the UFC, where he competed for eight years before leaving in 2017. He won the light heavyweight title in his first bout for Bellator, and he entered the Grand Prix for the chance to join the small club of fighters to hold two belts simultaneously in a major MMA promotion. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MOST READcenter_img Ryan Bader, right, knocks out Fedora c during their mixed martial arts heavyweight world title bout at Bellator 214 on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)INGLEWOOD, Calif. — Ryan Bader stopped Fedor Emelianenko just 35 seconds into the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix finale Saturday night, becoming the first Bellator fighter to hold two championship belts simultaneously.Bader (27-5) floored the vaunted Russian heavyweight with a left hook from distance in the opening exchanges of their long-anticipated bout. He added a right hand on the ground and a hammer fist, forcing the early stoppage at the famous Forum south of downtown Los Angeles.ADVERTISEMENT The former Russian Army firefighter was a near-mythical figure in the early years of MMA’s growth into an international sport. Emelianenko, who trained in judo and the Russian martial art of sambo, won 30 of his first 32 MMA fights while landing a string of spectacular knockouts and excelling as a heavyweight despite standing just 6 feet tall.Emelianenko never fought in the UFC even after numerous attempts to bring him to the sport’s biggest promotion, which meant he never faced some of the sport’s top competition. Although his aura of invincibility dissipated with three consecutive losses in 2010-11 and a subsequent three-year hiatus from competition, he was on a lengthy roll of success heading into the grand prix finale.In a co-main event between two elite featherweights from nearby Whittier, California, Henry Corrales stopped promising prospect Aaron Pico with one spectacular punch just 67 seconds in. Pico knocked down Corrales and nearly finished him in the opening minute, but Corrales got up and landed a right hand to the head, rendering Pico unconscious on his feet.Former professional wrestler Jake Hager also made a successful pro MMA debut, submitting 41-year-old heavyweight J.W. Kiser in the first round with an arm triangle.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Lacson backs proposal to elect president and vice president in tandem Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town View commentslast_img read more

RCMP member launches appeal to avoid new hearing over alleged harassment

first_imgOTTAWA – An RCMP member who was fined for disgraceful conduct in the workplace has launched a fresh court challenge to prevent further disciplinary actions against him.Marco Calandrini is asking the Federal Court of Appeal to overturn a recent decision that opens the door to a conduct hearing for alleged sexual assault and harassment, which could lead to his dismissal.The court action comes as the national police force grapples with new accusations of lewd and sexist social media posts by RCMP members.The Mounties have been wrestling for years with problems of bullying, harassment and other inappropriate behaviour in the police force.Calandrini, a civilian member of the force, was fined five days’ pay in early 2015 following an investigation into complaints of nudity at the explosives training unit of the RCMP-administered police college in Ottawa.Meantime, a male co-worker brought allegations of sexual assault and harassment against Calandrini, saying he had touched his buttocks, inner thigh area while making suggestive remarks on three occasions between Aug. 31, 2012, and Oct. 29, 2013.The RCMP notified the Ottawa police, but the local force did not lay criminal charges.However, an internal RCMP probe substantiated the allegations in October 2015 and a penalty of 15 days’ pay was levied against Calandrini, who apparently accepted responsibility and expressed a desire to resolve the matter promptly.The RCMP Act says that a conduct hearing — a more serious disciplinary step — may not be initiated against a member for an alleged contravention of the Code of Conduct more than one year after the alleged infraction becomes known.But the RCMP invoked a time extension clause in the law and Calandrini was told in May 2016 that a conduct hearing would be in the public interest.Calandrini unsuccessfully challenged the validity of the time extension in the Federal Court, which ruled last month the delay on the part of the RCMP “was not excessive.”On Thursday, Calandrini’s counsel filed a notice of appeal, alleging the judge made errors of law.When news of the controversy at the police college broke in early 2016, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale expressed outrage to Bob Paulson, commissioner of the RCMP at the time.Paulson, who retired last year, spent much of his tenure as top Mountie implementing measures aimed at making the police force more respectful and responsive.Fresh concerns emerged Friday as the CBC reported a new Facebook group supposedly created by, and limited to, male RCMP officers contains sexually suggestive material that has angered female colleagues.One post viewed by the broadcaster showed a painting of a fictional frontier scene of an RCMP officer with a burlesque dancer performing what appears to be oral sex on him.When concerns about disrespectful content believed to be written by an RCMP employee are brought forward, “they are and will be investigated and addressed,” said Cpl. Annie Delisle, an RCMP spokeswoman.“The RCMP has initiated Code of Conduct investigations in the past based on inappropriate comments in third-party applications or on social networking sites and we will continue to do so when these situations arise.”Public trust is essential for the RCMP to effectively fulfil its mandate, she added. “As a result, RCMP employees are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that meets the rightfully high expectations of Canadians.”Scott Bardsley, a spokesman for Goodale, said some of the behaviour that has been reported on the Facebook site “clearly cannot be a part of the modern, respectful workplace Canadians expect in the RCMP.”“Our government is committed to taking whatever action is necessary to help all women and men feel safe and respected at work.”Goodale has been clear with RCMP leadership that the expects comprehensive, transparent investigations, serious disciplinary measures, support for victims and concrete action to end toxic behaviour, he added.Earlier this week, RCMP said it would undertake a Code of Conduct investigation into a private Facebook group posting by someone believed to be an officer who reportedly said a young Indigenous man deserved to die.An Aboriginal Peoples Television Network report said a Mountie on the Prairies posted the message, which said the shooting of 22-year-old Colten Boushie on a Saskatchewan farm should never have been about race.Boushie died two years ago when he and four others drove onto Gerald Stanley’s farm near Biggar, Sask.— Follow @JimBronskill on Twitterlast_img read more