H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: ICU strain, Chan on speed of spread, Mexico’s projections, Colombia’s chief ill, flu video vote

first_imgAug 31, 2009H1N1 cases may strain ICUs this winterExperience to date suggests that the novel H1N1 flu may put a heavy burden on intensive care units (ICUs) in coming months, said critical care specialists quoted in a Canadian Press report today. ICUs in some of the hospitals hit hardest by virus nearly ran out of specialized equipment and skilled staff. The Public Health Agency of Canada has scheduled a meeting this week in Winnipeg to discuss the problem.http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9013059.htmlAug 31 Canadian Press storyMexico predicts 1 million cases in next flu waveMexico’s government projects that 1 million of its citizens will become ill this winter with the novel H1N1 virus, the Latin American Herald Tribune reported today. The country’s health secretary, Jose Angel Cordova, said on Aug 28 that the number of cases is stable for now, with about 80 to 100 infections reported each day. He said the government is working on emergency plans on school closures, social distancing measures, and hospital preparations.http://laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=342571&CategoryId=14091Aug 31 Latin American Herald Tribune storyWHO chief: H1N1 spreads at ‘unbelievable’ speedDr. Margaret Chan, head of the World Health Organization, told France’s Le Monde newspaper that the novel H1N1 virus “spreads at an unbelievable, almost unheard-of speed,” according to an Aug 29 Agence France-Presse (AFP) story. She said the virus can travel as far in 6 weeks as other viruses travel in 6 months and estimated that up to 30% of people in densely populated countries are at risk for infection. Chan also noted that about 40% of deaths are in previously healthy young adults.http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090829/hl_afp/healthfluwho_20090829132344Aug 29 AFP storyColombia’s president ill with pandemic fluColombian President Alvaro Uribe became ill with flulike symptoms on Aug 28 while addressing South American leaders at a summit in Argentina and was diagnosed yesterday as having the pandemic H1N1 virus, The Guardian reported today. He has continued working in partial isolation via phone and internet. So far no illnesses have been reported in other leaders or in Uribe’s travel group.http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/31/uribe-alvaro-colombia-swine-fluAug 31 Guardian storyHHS opens public vote for flu-prevention videoThe US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has invited the public to help pick the best video in its Flu Prevention Public Service Announcement (PSA) Contest. The top 10 videos, chosen from among 240 entries, have been posted on YouTube, and the public is invited to view the 30-second spots and vote their choice. The winner will receive $2,500 and see the video broadcast on national television.http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2009pres/08/20090829a.htmlAug 31 HHS news release with link to PSAsKuwait postpones kindergarten startKuwait’s education ministry said yesterday that the country will delay opening kindergartens for 2 months to curb the spread of the novel H1N1 virus, AFP reported today. The measure will also apply to nurseries and schools that serve students with special needs. Other schools will reopen at the usual time, the last week of September.http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=312015&version=1&template_id=37&parent_id=17Aug 31 AFP storyCVS stores to offer seasonal flu vaccineThe CVS pharmacy chain today announced that seasonal flu vaccine will be available starting tomorrow at 500 of its stores, according to a company press release. Vaccine will be available to adults and children over 18 months without an appointment. The chain said it will host about 9,000 flu clinic events starting Sep 15. With novel H1N1 vaccine expected to reach providers in October, the US CDC has said that people should receive the seasonal vaccine as soon as it’s available.http://info.cvscaremark.com/newsroom/press-releases/cvspharmacy-and-minuteclinic-encourage-americans-protect-themselves-early-seAug 31 CVS/Caremark press releaselast_img read more

Cappelli: Croatia will have 12 billion in tourism revenues this year

first_imgMinister of Tourism Gari Cappelli held a working meeting with the leaders of the Zadar County, the City of Zadar and their Tourist Boards at the Tourist Information Center in Zadar.Minister of Tourism Gary Cappelli pointed out the problem of the workforce in tourism and emphasized that we urgently need to educate the best possible staff, and use winter for education. “There will be a fierce match next year. We have good players but we will need a lot of money. You asked me a lot about the residence unit, we will have to invest twice as much compared to this year to keep this year’s resultCappelli pointed out, he writes local.vecernji.hrReferring to other topics of conversation, the Minister stated that one of them was the support that would go to connecting with the sea with joint advertising. “By connecting the two coasts, the Italian and Zadar and the surrounding area, we would make a step forward in air transport, we have invested 30 million kuna this year, now we will 60 million kuna”Said Cappelli and added that Croatia is currently growing by 5-6 percent, both overnight stays and tourist stays this year.”The law on catering services, which is now in the second reading in the Parliament, will be recategorized. Many have complained about this because we have about 20.000 facilities registered in the 70s, a large part of them have not been recategorized, and they have three stars. We will go into these facilities, recategorize them and get a fairer picture of how much of that gray market there was. There will be no new employments in the inspectorates, but only changes from a certain part of the administration that will go to the inspection services. We should definitely work harder and better because Croatia is losing some of its money in this gray market. Croatia will have 12 billion in tourism revenues this year, about 10 percent more than last year, but there is still room for growth ”Concluded the Minister.For a successful season, in addition to tourist promotion, the safety of the destination is equally important. So far, we have had 14 million tourists in Croatia, more than 70 million overnight stays, so it can be said that this is a successful season in terms of security, according to the relevant ministry.last_img read more

Celtic’s Christie handed two-match ban for grabbing Morelos testicles

first_img The Scotland international is recovering from groin surgery and was rated ‘touch and go’ by assistant manager John Kennedy for the trip to Maryhill. Celtic had vowed to defend their player ‘vigorously’ and stated they were “astonished” by the SFA charge when it was announced on December 31. Morelos could still be hit with retrospective action over the cut-throat gesture he made towards Celtic fans after he was sent off in the closing seconds of the game. Christie’s offence fell under fast-track procedures but gestures fall outside of those time limitations. read also:Celtic star  faces two-game ban for grabbing Morelos testicles Rangers later claimed Morelos had been subjected to racial abuse and claimed his gesture was “used commonly throughout South America to indicate quite simply that something – in this case, the match – is finished”. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Christie escaped with only a free-kick against him after grabbing the Colombian in the groin area with his hand during Rangers’ 2-1 win at Celtic Park on December 29. But he was subsequently charged with violent conduct by the Scottish Football Association and a fast-track tribunal found him guilty. The 24-year-old had already been booked by referee Kevin Clancy for a foul on Morelos when he appeared to grab the striker after he had been nutmegged by the Colombian. Christie will miss Celtic’s William Hill Scottish Cup clash with Partick Thistle on January 18 along with their Ladbrokes Premiership encounter at Kilmarnock four days later. The ban triggers an extra one-match suspension because it is his second red-card offence of the season – he was sent off against Livingston – so he will also sit out the visit of Ross County on January 25.Advertisement Celtic midfielder Ryan Christie has been slapped with a two-match ban after being found guilty of grabbing Rangers forward Alfredo Morelos by the genitals.center_img Loading…last_img read more

Jack Allen Pratchard

first_imgJack Allen Pratchard, 82, of Aurora, Indiana, passed away Friday April 3, 2020 in Lawrenceburg, IN.He was born April 13, 1937 in Cincinnati, OH, son of the late Lester Pratchard and Ruth (Frederick) Pratchard.Jack was very patriotic and was proud to have served his country in the United States Marines. He was the Owner/Operator of Jack’s Carpet Cleaning, retiring after over 12 years of service. He was a member of the Bible Baptist Church in Greendale, IN. He served as an usher at church and sang in the choir. Jack loved to hunt. He deer hunted for many years, but also hunted for duck, bear, rams, and elk. Jack had a great sense of humor and loved to be around people. He was a story teller and did not know a stranger. He will be missed by his family, many friends, and church family.Jack is survived by his loving spouse of 63 years, Nita (Collins) Pratchard; children, Jack Allen Pratchard of San Francisco, CA, John Lester Pratchard of Versailles, IN, Gena Lynn Shell of Aurora, IN, and Linda Diane Phelps (Fiancé, Tony Waldron) of Moores Hill, IN; grandchildren, Jason Pratchard, Erin Pratchard, Katie Pratchard, Steven Aldama, Sarah (Brian) Wilson, Lori Phelps, Rebecca (Brandon) McKnight, and Jake Shell; great grandchildren, Candice, Lana, Kaden, Layla, Ryleigh, Reese, Riann, Ruby, Blaze, Cali, Journi, and Caiden, and several nieces and nephews.He was preceded in death by parents, Lester Pratchard, Ruth (Frederick) Pratchard, Grandson, Justin Pratchard, 3 sisters, 1 brother.Private services will be held by his loving family due to the Corona Virus. Interment will follow in the River View Cemetery, Aurora, Indiana. Contributions may be made to the Bible Baptist Church or the Charity of Donor’s Choice. If unable to attend services, please call the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Due to the current situation dealing with COVID-19, we are following the directives from Governor Holcomb and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concerning large events and mass gatherings. The family deeply appreciates the support and love shown from friends, but the health and well being of everyone in our community is of top priority.Alternative ways to express your condolences can be done by going online at our website and leaving the family a message, sending a card, flowers, or making a donation in memory of their loved one.Our prayers go out to all of the health care community and those affected by COVID-19.Visit: www.rullmans.comlast_img read more

Trentin wins Tour de France 17th stage as tempers flare

first_imgBy Julien PretotGAP, France (Reuters) – European champion Matteo Trentin won the 17th stage of the Tour de France, a hilly 200-km ride from the Pont du Gard as tempers flared in the peloton yesterday.Team Ineos’ Luke Rowe and Lotto Jumbo-Visma’s Tony Martin were both kicked out of the race following an altercation, just under 14 kilometres from the finish.Italian Trentin jumped away from a reduced group of breakaway riders at the foot of the last climb and powered clear in the descent to claim his third stage victory on the Tour after previous wins in 2013 and 2014 . It was another good day for the Mitchelton-Scott team, following on from Simon Yates’ two stage wins and Daryl Impey’s victory on stage nine, which goes some way to make up for Adam Yates’s failure to contest for the overall victory.The Briton stunningly dropped out of contention in the first high mountain stage, but the Australian outfit have since then bounced back with individual wins.“This win is worth two wins because after stage 10 to Albi, I thought my chances to win a stage were today,” said Trentin.“I had stage 12 to Bagneres-de-Bigorre in mind and it went well because my team mate Simon Yates won it from our breakaway group.“Today was definitely my last possibility before three days that are extremely demanding. My mentality helped me win even more than my legs. I would have never imagined to win solo.”Today’s 18th stage is a 208-km mountain trek between Embrun and Valloire featuring three climbs above 2 000 metres.On another searing hot day in southern France, the top contenders stayed quiet, finishing in the peloton, just over 20 minutes off the pace behind Trentin, as France’s Julian Alaphilippe retained the overall leader’s yellow jersey. He leads defending champion Geraint Thomas by 1:35 in the general classification.Trentin made his move with 14 kilometres left and never looked back, to beat Denmark’s Kasper Asgreen by 37 seconds and Belgian Greg van Avermaet by 41.The main bunch rode the end of the stage at a leisurely pace but there was some tension between the top teams as German Martin, one of Steven Kruijswijk’s domestiques, appeared to push his way past Thomas’s team mate Rowe. The Briton put a hand on Martin’s neck and the race stewards decided to disqualify both riders.The incident prompted Alaphilippe to ask the riders to calm down.“At some stage today, there was tension in the peloton and I tried to calm the situation. I told the other riders to not take any risks because I was not going to attack,” Alaphilippe told reporters.last_img read more