New York Gov. Cuomo: “Shocking” Data Reveals that Most New Coronavirus Hospitalizations Are People Staying Home

first_imgHe added that state health officials initially thought a high percentage of hospitalized people would be essential employees, explaining, “Much of this comes down to what you do to protect yourself. Everything is closed down, government has done everything it could, society has done everything it could. Now it’s up to you.”New York State’s hospitalization rate has continued to decline, according to the governor, although he said it is doing so at a “painfully slow” rate. About 600 infected people are still entering the hospitals there every day.“I was afraid that it was going to infect my family no matter what I did. We’re past that,” Cuomo said at a press conference on April 13, when the initial thinking was that isolation would slow the spread of the virus. “If you isolate, if you take the precautions, your family won’t get infected.”Cuomo cautioned that the daily statistics, including the number of deaths, will likely end up being much higher than what has been reported, and that the state has been documenting at-home deaths.“I think that the reality is going to be worse,” Cuomo warned. Most of New York State’s new COVID-19 hospitalizations are actually from people who were staying home and not going outside, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.The preliminary data that led to his announcement comes from 100 New York hospitals and involves about 1,000 patients, he said during his daily briefing.Specifically, 66 percent of new admissions were from people who had been sheltering at home, with the second highest number being from nursing homes, with 18 percent.“If you notice, 18 percent of the people came from nursing homes, less than 1 percent came from jail or prison, 2 percent came from the homeless population, 2 percent from other congregate facilities, but 66 percent of the people were at home, which is shocking to us,” Cuomo said.“This is a surprise: Overwhelmingly, the people were at home,” he added. “We thought maybe they were taking public transportation, and we’ve taken special precautions on public transportation, but actually no, because these people were literally at home.”Courtesy: New York StateHe continued to say that almost 84 percent of the hospitalized cases were people who were not going to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or by walking, and a majority of them were either retired or unemployed.Overall, nearly 73 percent of the admissions in New York were of people over age 51.Gov. Cuomo says the data shows that those who are hospitalized are mostly from the downstate area in or around New York City, are not working or traveling and are not essential employees. In addition, a majority of the cases in the city are minorities, nearly half of them being African American or Hispanic.Courtesy: New York Statelast_img read more

Mayweather Flaunts $9m Earning from Tokyo Exhibition

first_imgFloyd Mayweather’s love for money is hardly a secret and he has now shown off his latest earnings on social media.The American shared videos of his huge bundles of Japanese Yen after earning $9million dollars for his win over kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in an exhibition match in Tokyo.Mayweather followed up his $100m pay-day against Conor McGregor in August 2017 with another money-spinning victory in just over two minutes against Nasukawa on Monday. Floyd Mayweather Naturally, there was to be no kicking allowed and after three knockdowns around 120 seconds from the first bell, the 20-year-old saw the contest ended. He was in tears and Mayweather was left grinning at his latest money-spinning exhibition.Never one to hide his wealth and success, Mayweather filmed himself walking around one of his many Rolls Royce vehicles before stopping at the drivers’ side where there was bundles of cash.The 41-year-old was not in prime shape but he still proved far too strong for Nasukawa, 21 years his junior, in the nine-minute scrap at the Saitama Super Arena just outside Tokyo.He wore a big smile for much of the first minute as the two fighters felt each other out amid a raucous atmosphere inside the 37,000-seater arena.But there was little friendliness in his work thereafter as, left and right hooks sent the younger, smaller and lighter man down and across the canvas.Nasukawa is a kick-boxer by trade but against Mayweather on the outskirts of Tokyo he was banned from using his feet over the three rounds of exhibition action.And when it came down to a battle of fists, there was little by way of a contest. First, a left hand sent Nasukawa to the floor before a right hand to the body was followed by one to the head, and the Japanese fighter was left in a heap in the corner.When the action resumed, a left hook sent him flying across the ring once more before the towel came in.The Japanese fighter had previously won all 32 of his combat sports contests, and Mayweather stressed: ‘We are both still undefeated, I did this to entertain the fans in Japan, they wanted this to happen and I said why not, Tenshin is still a great champion, I am still retired.‘Tenshin hold your head up high, I want the fans to support him, he’s a great guy, a great fighter and great champion.’Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more