Fifa World Cup FIFA World Cup 2018, Uruguay vs France Match Preview: Defensive wall up against attacking force

first_imgNew Delhi: The FIFA World Cup 2018 is up and running with full flow and with lots of ups and downs for many teams. The football lovers have witnessed giants of the game crash out during the initial stages of the tournament with many brilliant performances during its course till now.Quarterfinals are the stage of the competition where big nations collide to knock their opponents out and qualify to the final stages of the event, and in a clash of giants Uruguay face France before another heavyweight clash between Brazil and Belgium for a place in the semi-finals.The 2018 World Cup quarter-finals are set to get off to a thrilling start when Uruguay and France meet in the Nizhny Novgorod Stadium. The Euro 2016 finalists have the opportunity to reach the semi-finals of this competition for the first time since 1998.After two straight wins against Australia (2-1) and Peru (1-0), the French were held to a goalless draw by Denmark, finishing top of Group C and conceding just once. In the round-of-16, French coach Didier Deschamps led his men to a hard-fought and exciting 4-3 win over Argentina and secured a spot in the quarter-finals.The Uruguayans finished top of Group A, after three straight wins – without conceding a single goal.Defeating Portugal 2-1 in their round-of-16 game, thanks to a brace by Edinson Cavani, Oscar Tabarez’s men are one win away from getting Uruguay to the WC semi-finals for the second time in three WC tournaments.The Uruguayan’s have surprised everyone with their gritty nature and unwavering will to win and with Diego Godin and Jose Gimenez forming a cement of a defensive duo around Fernando Muslera’s goal, the La Celeste are very much secured at the back.In eight previous meetings with Uruguay in all competitions, France have a poor record that currently stands at Win 1, Draw 4, Loss 3, and have a negative H2H goal difference of minus four (GF4, GA8).Players to watch: Scoring two goals against Argentina, 19-year-old French striker Kylian Mbappé became the youngest player to score a brace in a WC game since Pele and he will go head to head with PSG teammate Edinson Cavani, who has three goals in this competition so far.Stat attack: Six out of the sides’ eight encounters have produced less than 2.5 goals (each).France have never won a single World Cup game against Uruguay (D2, L1), scoring only one goal in the process. While the South Americans are on a run of seven straight wins in all competitions, conceding just a single goal.In all competitions, four of the last five clashes between the two sides have ended 0-0.The winner of the match will face the winner of Belgium vs Brazil in the World Cup semi-final on Tuesday, July 10. For all the Latest Sports News News, Fifa World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Balotelli set to face Tottenham

first_imgBrendan Rodgers has revealed that Mario Balotelli will be in contention to make his Liverpool debut at Tottenham on Sunday.The Italy striker joined the Merseyside club from Milan on Monday, but was not signed in time to feature in the 3-1 defeat against his former club Manchester City later that day. Liverpool manager Rodgers, however, is preparing to unleash Balotelli on Tottenham in a mouth-watering Premier League clash at White Hart Lane.  “I think by the weekend [he’ll be ready to play],” he told the club’s official website.”He’s been into pre-season and he’s played three 45-minute games. He might not be up to full match speed, but he’s looking fit. “We’ve done some analysis on him. The medical and sports science team have worked with him already and he’s in very, very good condition.”He’s in to work and he’ll be available for the squad for the weekend.” Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge believes Balotelli could become an “iconic” figure at Anfield.  He told the club’s official website: “He provides another option and we’ve got a lot of games this season, so Brendan has plenty of options now.  “The manager will have a plan. It could be Balotelli going through the middle with Daniel [Sturridge] playing off him or out wide, as he did to great effect last season. “He could be phenomenal and he’s the type of player who will be endearing to the fans. He could be iconic.”last_img read more

Dodgers pitcher Alex Wood goes on DL with minor shoulder issue

first_imgST. LOUIS >> Even the hottest pitcher in baseball couldn’t avoid the revolving door that leads to the Dodgers’ disabled list.Left-hander Alex Wood was placed on the DL on Monday with inflammation of the sternoclavicular joint at the front of his pitching shoulder. The issue is not considered serious and Wood is expected to miss only one start before rejoining the Dodgers’ ever-changing rotation early next week.Left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu will make Wood’s scheduled start on Wednesday against the St. Louis Cardinals unless Ryu is needed in long relief in the next two days. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “I probably did some questionable things after I got hurt last year swinging the bat. So we’re just playing it safe,” said Wood, who injured his pitching elbow on a swing, tried pitching through it but wound up having surgery to remove a bone chip from his elbow, knocking him out of the rotation at this time a year ago.“As long as everything stays on track the way it is now, I should only miss one start and go back in there next go-round. … It’s not ideal. But at the same time, you look at the whole year, the big picture. Hopefully we can get this knocked out and not have to worry about it any more.”Wood said he has had the SC joint issue twice in the past (including early in spring training this year) but neither caused him to miss time during the season. This time, the issue flared up on a pitch to Wilson Contreras in the second inning of his start against the Chicago Cubs on Friday.“It was a pitch to Contreras in the second inning. I think I threw a fastball in to him,” Wood said. “It just kind of compressed my joint a little bit on my finish. I felt it a little bit there and it just kind of stayed there the rest of the game. That was the main reason I came out after five (innings).“The last thing I want to do is try and throw through something and make it worse when it’s fairly mild right now.”center_img Wood goes to the DL with a 6-0 record and 1.69 ERA. He has not allowed a run in his past 25-1/3 innings, the longest scoreless streak by a pitcher in the majors this season. In order to continue the best stretch of his career when he returns, Wood will have to buck a trend.He is the 21st Dodgers player to be placed on the DL in the first two months of the season, fast approaching last year’s modern record of 28. That list includes six starting pitchers – Kenta Maeda, Brandon McCarthy, Scott Kazmir, Rich Hill (twice), Ryu and now Wood.Of the four in that group who returned to the rotation after going on the DL, they have a combined ERA of 6.75 and a WHIP of 2.12 in their first starts after their sabbatical. The Dodgers lost four of the five returns (including Hill twice).“Obviously the way he’s pitching, we want him to make his starts,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “But also if you look at the body of work, the last couple years to kind of shorten the calendar, the season by skipping one start will prove beneficial to him.“From talking to the training staff, the docs, Alex — it’s going to be a one-start thing.”Opt inTo replace Wood on the roster, the Dodgers promoted right-handed reliever Brandon Morrow from Triple-A Oklahoma City. The former big-leaguer would have been able to opt out of his contract and become a free agent this week if not promoted to the majors.Morrow, 32, was 0-5 with a 5.71 ERA and six saves for the OKC Dodgers. But most of that damage was done in April, when he gave up six runs without retiring a batter in an appearance against Memphis. In 10 appearances since then, he has a 1.74 ERA with 10 strikeouts in 10-1/3 innings.Mighty penMorrow joins a bullpen that has not been charged with a run while allowing only six hits in those 19-2/3 scoreless innings during the Dodgers’ five-game win streak. Over the weekend, Dodgers relievers allowed just one hit in 11-2/3 innings during the three-game sweep of the Chicago Cubs.“I think our starting pitching has been pretty good,” Roberts said. “But for me to be able to trust seven, eight guys in the ’pen and for these guys to be the way they were for the homestand and even the year, but this homestand – elite, the best in baseball.“That homestand, honestly, a lot of it goes to the bullpen.”The Dodgers won eight of 10 on the homestand.last_img read more

Labourer charged for murdering friend during drinking spree

first_imgThe 28-year-old labourer who fatally stabbed his drinking buddy during an argument on Saturday last was arraigned for murder at the Anna Regina Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.Micheal Culpeper of Lower Pomeroon River was not required to plea to the indictable charge when it was read to him by Magistrate Esther Sam.Police stated that on April 6, he murdered 48-year-old Micheal Chu called “Chuman” of Charity Housing Scheme Essequibo Coast, Region Two.Culpeper was remanded to prison and will reappear on May 5, 2019, at the Charity Magistrate’s Court.It was reported that Chu had been reportedly consuming alcohol with Culpeper at Lower Pomeroon River when a heated argument broke out between them.Reports are that the younger labourer, in the midst of the argument, armed himself with a knife and stabbed Chu several times about the body.A Coast Guard responded to a request for assistance and Chu was transported to the Charity Hospital in Essequibo where he was admitted.However, he was later transferred to the Suddie Hospital but succumbed to his injuries. The accused was later arrested and charged with the capital offence.last_img read more

0 Comments  

first_img 0 Comments   Share   Now, we won’t know if the Cardinals are truly worse off for what they have lost until the 2017 season begins, but as of right now, it’s tough to believe they will be better. That’s why, in an Insider piece, ESPN’s John Clayton listed the Cardinals among five teams who have regressed after the first surge of free agency.Biggest losses: DE Calais Campbell, S Tony Jefferson, S D.J. Swearinger, CB Marcus Cooper, OT Earl WatfordThe Cardinals, who ranked second in overall total defense in 2016, might drop a level or two with their free-agent losses. They figure to lose as many as six decent defenders: Campbell, Cooper, Jefferson, Swearinger, pass-rusher Alex Okafor and potentially linebacker Kevin Minter. The signing of Karlos Dansby and Jarvis Jones likely signals Minter’s pending departure, and the Cardinals brought in 32-year-old Antoine Bethea on a cheap deal to provide cover at safety. Arizona has to hope that 2016 first-round pick Robert Nkemdiche can improve and take Campbell’s spot, and the team is still looking for a No. 2 cornerback. That spot might have to be filled with the No. 13 overall pick.The Cardinals, at least in part, prepared for Campbell’s departure with the selection of Nkemdiche last season, and are also hopeful third-year pro Rodney Gunter will take another step forward. The losses of Jefferson, Swearinger and Cooper, however, may be a bit trickier to overcome, however. Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impact Derrick Hall satisfied with D-backs’ buying and selling Jefferson emerged last season after the team parted with veteran Rashad Johnson, and produced a career year in which he recorded 92 tackles, five passes defensed and two sacks. Swearinger also stepped up in his first full season in Arizona, bringing a physical style to the secondary and recording three interceptions and two sacks. Cooper, meanwhile, led the team with four interceptions as a starting cornerback.As Clayton noted, the Cardinals did make some moves of their own in an effort to mitigate what they have lost, and it’s possible the additions of Bethea, Dansby and Jones — as well as whatever the team gets in the draft — could be enough to offset the departures.But as of now, through just less than one week of free agency, it certainly seems as though the Cardinals — along with the Green Bay Packers, Oakland Raiders, Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals, according to Clayton —  have taken a hit. Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians calls out from sidelines against the Seattle Seahawks in the second half of an NFL football game, Saturday, Dec. 24, 2016, in Seattle. (AP Photo/John Froschauer)center_img The 5: Takeaways from the Coyotes’ introduction of Alex Meruelo Top Stories Former Cardinals kicker Phil Dawson retires We all had a feeling the Arizona Cardinals would take some hits in free agency, given that they had so many key players set to hit the open market and not a particularly large amount of salary cap space with which to try and keep them.But even still, what happened to the team over the first week of the free agency period has been a shock to the Arizona system.For a deeper look into what exactly has transpired, click here, but suffice to say the Cardinals have lost a considerable amount of talent from a team that in 2016 went 7-8-1.last_img read more