Essequibo man killed in motorcycle crash

first_imgFamily members of 20-year-old Kishan Sankar, called “Dadoo,” of Lot 320 Richmond Housing Scheme, Essequibo Coast were on Saturday night thrown into mourning after he was killed when he lost control of his motorcycle, CJ 2467, around 21:20h, and it crashed into a culvert in the scheme where he had been living.Dead: Kishan Sankar, also known as “Dadoo”Reports indicate that Sankar had been speeding along the eastern side of School Street when he lost control of the bike, which reportedly fell onto the roadway and skidded into the concrete rails of a bridge that is in front of the Richmond Nursery School before ending up into a nearby drain, all the time dragging Sankar along.Residents in the area said they heard the loud impact of the crash and rushed to the scene, where they found the cyclist pinned under the bike in a nearby drain. They quickly removed the cycle from on top of the badly injured and unconscious man before pulling his body from the drain and rushing him to the Suddie Public Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.This newspaper was told that the young man appeared to have suffered head injuries, especially since he was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.The concrete bridge into which Sankar crashed before ending up in the drainSankar’s grieving grandmother told this publication that he had left home to drop a friend to the Richmond Public Road, and was reportedly returning home when the accident occurred.She said Sankar’s death has come at a time when the family is still mourning the death of his younger brother, Vejay — a 17-year-old who had suddenly fallen ill and died on September 10, 2017.“The family is still in mourning; and now, with this other blow, the family is ripped apart… My only hope is for God to take care of the only son left in the family,” the woman cried.The late Kishan Sankar, called Dadoo, leaves to mourn his parents, brother, grandparents and other relatives and friends.last_img read more

Opposition returns to High Court seeking constitutional compliance

first_imgResignation of Cabinet case…submissions made, case adjournedThe parliamentary Opposition has returned to the High Court seeking to force the Government to comply with the Constitution of Guyana, this time Article 106 of the Constitution which sets out that Cabinet must resign after a No-Confidence Motion.Former AG Anil NandlallBringing the case is former Attorney General Anil Nandlall, who is seeking from acting Chief Justice Roxane George orders compelling Cabinet, which has been meeting despite the clear language of the Constitution.“We are asking for a declaration that Cabinet was resigned on the passage of the No-Confidence Motion. Alternatively, we’re asking for an order that Cabinet be resigned, because the Chief Justice had ruled that they were resigned by application of law,” he said in an interview afterwards.He added that the Opposition is asking for an order giving effect to that resignation. “And we’re asking for an order restraining Cabinet from meeting, because they are disbanded and no longer in existence,” Nandlall further explained.In response to Nandlall’s submissions, Attorney General Basil Williams is arguing that his return to the court is an abuse of the court process. Nandlall slammed the AG for skimming over the constitutional provision requiring his and the rest of the Cabinet’s resignations.“It’s unfortunate that we have to resort to this kind of strenuous efforts in the court to get the Government to obey the Constitution. Every one of you read the Constitution and would know that Article 106 says that upon the successful passage of the No-Confidence Motion, Cabinet inclusive of the President shall resign.”He added that 10 months after the passage of the No-Confidence Motion, the Opposition is “battling for the Government to give effect to that provision of the Constitution which is our supreme law. This is the level to which we have descended. And rather than the AG come here and concede, he comes here and says it is an abuse of process. It’s an atrocious contention. Instead of come here and apologise to the court and then go and advise his Cabinet to resign, he comes here with a straight face and says we are abusing the court.”According to Nandlall, all they are seeking is for the Government to comply with the Constitution. In her deliberations, Chief Justice Roxane George gave Nandlall five days in which to make their submissions while Williams was given until September 21 to file on behalf of the Government. The next court hearing will be held on September 30 at 13:30h.Attorney General Basil WilliamsArticle 106 (6) of the Constitution states: “The Cabinet including the President shall resign if the Government is defeated by the vote of a majority of all the elected members of the National Assembly on a vote of confidence.”Meanwhile, Article 106 (7) goes on to say: “Notwithstanding its defeat, the Government shall remain in office and shall hold an election within three months, or such longer period as the National Assembly shall by resolution supported by not less than two-thirds of the votes of all the elected members of the National Assembly determine, and shall resign after the President takes the oath of office following the election.”A No-Confidence Motion was passed against the Government since December 21 of last year. However, elections were not held and there was no resignation. Instead, the Government went through several levels of court, unsuccessfully arguing that the No-Confidence Motion was not validly passed.At the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), the final court had thrown out the Government’s case and had handed down judgement saying that when the No-Confidence Motion was passed on December 21, 2019, Article 106 of the Constitution had immediately been activated. In addition, the court had noted that the provisions of the Article were clear.Instead of immediately starting serious preparations to hold elections in the shortest possible time, however, GECOM proceeded to carry out House-to-House Registration based on the orders of unilaterally appointed former Chairman, retired Justice James Patterson. The exercise has since been stopped, but GECOM has since proposed a March 2020 timeframe for holding elections.When it comes to Cabinet resigning, Government had initially announced that it would no longer be holding Cabinet sessions but rather, decisions would be made using a “ministerial plenary” that still retained the powers of Cabinet. They have since resorted back to using “Cabinet” to describe these meetings.last_img read more

INVESTMENT IN LETTERKENNY IN DOUBT AFTER HOGAN ABANDONS GATEWAY STATUS FOR TOWN

first_imgDeputy Charlie McConalogue has claimed the decision to abandon the National Spatial Strategy means Letterkenny’s status as a Gateway town has been lost – jeopardising future investment in the area.The Donegal TD says the town is now in limbo as a result of the move by Environment Minister Phil Hogan and businesses will suffer.“The decision to drop the National Spatial Strategy without any sign of a replacement plan for over a year leaves Letterkenny and the other 18 Gateway towns and hubs in utter limbo. This could have enormous consequences for Letterkenny and the surrounding area, putting future growth and investment here in jeopardy.” The National Spatial Strategy was originally designed to promote balanced regional development to offset dominance by the Greater Dublin Area and to help foster economic growth nationally by utilising our national resources effectively.Letterkenny is one of 18 hubs that has benefited form the status and helped lead to growth in recent years.But the Environment Minister Phil Hogan has announced plans to scrap the strategy with no replacement planned for at least another year.Deputy McConalogue continued, “Under the National Special Strategy, Letterkenny had a central role in attracting infrastructural investment and acting as an engine of growth for the surrounding area. This was particularly important in cross border relations with Derry. Now that the strategy has been completely abandoned by Fine Gael and Labour, the future role of Letterkenny is in doubt. “Businesses basing their long term projects on the plans outlined by the National Special Strategy now have to deal with greater uncertainty about infrastructural projects, population bases and transport links. Given the pressing need for job creation across Donegal the news that our Gateway town has been dropped will only create further uncertainty.“The government needs to start taking job creation in Donegal and the North West seriously. We have already seen through information supplied to Fianna Fáil last week that the IDA only achieved 3 investor visits in Donegal over the past two years compared to dozens in some other counties on the east coast, which have benefited enormously as a result. Figures from Enterprise Ireland also show a net loss of jobs in Donegal last year in contrast to the national trend. This latest news is another blow to hopes of investment in Letterkenny.”But Labour Party chair , Peter Cutliffe has challenged Deputy Deputy Charlie Mc Conlogue’s assertion this week that Minister Philip Hogan’s decision to abandon Gateway status for Letterkenny has jepordised potential investment in the town.“The National Spatial Strategy was another Fianna Fail smoke-screen suggesting the party was serious about creating jobs in the Region. I believe it was a myth and I challenge Fianna Fail and the Deputy to illustrate what direct benefit and jobs resulted from this strategy”, said Mr. Cutliffe .He continued that we badly need job- creation activity in the County as a whole and until we see the banks releasing credit to business , we will continue to struggle. “I really believe that job-creation is only possible if the Banks become more proactive and no amount of strategies can replace actual funding for job-creation,” Mr Cutliffe concluded .INVESTMENT IN LETTERKENNY IN DOUBT AFTER HOGAN ABANDONS GATEWAY STATUS FOR TOWN was last modified: February 19th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Charlie McConalogueGateway StatusinvestmentletterkennyPhil Hoganlast_img read more

Mesa Grande Academy wins girls tourney

first_imgMesa Grande Academy used a stifling first half defense to win the first tournament in the history of its girls program, beating tourney host Loma Linda Academy 41-32 Saturday night. Senior shooting guard and tournament MVP Megan Bradford had an outstanding all-around game with 16 points, 10 rebounds and eight steals to lead the Cardinals (9-4) past the Roadrunners. Five-foot-10 freshman center Megan Williams added nine points, 15 boards and three blocked shots, while Julia Ruybalid earned all-tournament honors. All-tourney selection Katie Prior was the only Loma Linda player in double figures with 11 points. The same two teams square off Tuesday in a nonleague contest at Mesa Grande. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

2018 homeless count down 6 since 2017

first_img Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter May 17, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, Sasha Foo 2018 homeless count down 6% since 2017 Updated: 10:25 PMcenter_img SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – An annual one-night count found 8,576 homeless individuals in San Diego County, the Regional Task Force on the Homeless announced Thursday.That’s a 6 percent decrease from the 2017 total and a 9 percent decrease since 2011, but county Supervisor Ron Roberts, who chairs the task force, said it’s not yet time to celebrate.“Seeing the overall number decline was a positive reversal, but there are far too many swings in data to declare a trend or to not see other areas where we need to increase our focus,” he said.“We continue to face many challenges, highlighted by a lack of new housing, a condition that squeezes hardest those with the fewest resources. The only marginal decrease in the number of chronic homeless is among my biggest concerns.”The federally mandated snapshot count took place Jan. 26. The count helps communities, service providers and policy makers understand homelessness hot spots and challenges. It’s also critical to securing about $20 million in federal funding for housing and services, according to the task force.After being in decline for several years, homelessness among military veterans rose 24 percent, with 1,312 counted as opposed to 1,054 a year earlier. Overall, the count identified 4,990 unsheltered homeless individuals in the county, an 11.2 percent decrease from the 5,621 counted in 2017. The number of homeless individuals in shelters was 3,596, a 2.8 percent increase from the 3,495 counted in 2017. The number of hand-built structures or tents, meanwhile, decreased 24 percent from 937 to 716, with downtown numbers falling sharpest.“This is a one-day snapshot that is a positive indication that we are getting the most vulnerable, unsheltered San Diegans off the street,” said San Diego Councilman Chris Ward, who is vice chairman of the task force.“Finding permanent housing remains our ultimate goal and we need a renewed focus on permanent units to truly create a pipeline that moves people from our streets, to our shelter, connects them with necessary services and ultimately results in a housing accommodation that meets their needs.” Posted: May 17, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, Sasha Foo, last_img read more