B-17 visits Fox Airfield next week

first_imgLANCASTER – Aviation enthusiasts can ride next week in a World War II-era B-17 bomber or get an up-close look at the vintage plane on the ground. The restored bomber is making a stop at Fox Airfield as part of the Experimental Aircraft Association’s “Keep It Flying” tour in the western United States. “The B-17 played a significant role in World War II,” said Scott Weathers, an Edwards Air Force Base flight test engineer and member of a local Experimental Aircraft Association chapter. “Part of the EAA’s purpose is keeping aviation alive and keeping some of the old planes flying. Once a year they take it around the country to let people touch and smell that bit of history,” he said. The plane will be at Van Nuys Airport April 20-22. The national B-17 tours have taken place each spring and fall since 1994. About a dozen B-17s are still flying. The B-17 is considered one of the greatest military airplanes ever built and one of the best-known aircraft types of the World War II era. The B-17 visiting Fox Airfield was built in 1945 but was delivered to the Army Air Corps too late to see active service in World War II. It was purchased as war surplus for $750 by a private individual and served in mapping and spraying operations until a preservation group purchased it in 1978. The B-17 was donated to the EAA Aviation Foundation in 1981 with the provision of being maintained in air-worthy condition. After being displayed at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, Wis., for a decade, the airplane made its national tour debut in the spring of 1994. karen.maeshiro@dailynews.com (661) 267-5744160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Plane rides will be offered Tuesday and Wednesday at Fox Airfield. Flights will take place every 45 minutes beginning at 9:30 a.m. with the last flight of the day at 12:30 p.m. Flights are $359 for EAA members and $399 for non-members who pre-book their flights on the EAA Web site at www.b17.org or call toll-free 1 (800) 359-6217 before the plane arrives. Once the plane is at Fox Airfield, the cost for EAA members is $385, and $425 for non-members. To book a flight, call (920) 371-2246. Tours of the plane on the ground will run from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. and are $10 for a family, $6 for adults, $5 for students. Ground tours are free for children under age 8 and for World War II veterans. The plane is due to arrive in Lancaster about noon on Monday, but there will be no tours or public flights that day. last_img read more

KNOCKALLA CUP GAME CANCELLED

first_imgThe Knockalla Cup game Swilly Rovers v Dunkineely Celtic scheduled for tomorrow, Sunday April 7th has been cancelled as Dunkineely are unable to field. KNOCKALLA CUP GAME CANCELLED was last modified: April 7th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Samsung Galaxy Fold is ready to hit the market exec reportedly says

first_img Comments Now playing: Watch this: Close up with the Galaxy Fold screen, notch and hinge People try the Galaxy Fold for the first time 5:50 Mobile The Galaxy Fold could be out soon…again.  Angela Lang/CNET Samsung’s Galaxy Fold missed its release date in April due to screen problems with review units. Since then, the company hasn’t given a new release date for the foldable phone. Now one Samsung executive reportedly says the device is ready to go. Kim Seong-cheol, vice president for Samsung Display, said during a speech Tuesday that the Galaxy Fold is “ready to hit the market,” according to The Korea Herald. “Most of the display problems have been ironed out, and the Galaxy Fold is ready to hit the market,” he reportedly said at the Korean Information Display Society conference in Seoul. Samsung Display is the subsidiary that provides displays for the Korean company. Samsung didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment. In April, review units of the Fold began experiencing issues such as bubbling under the screen and displays flickering. Samsung announced it would delay the release of the folding phone soon after these issues became public. Since then, Best Buy and AT&T canceled preorders for the phone, citing the lack of a release date provided by Samsung, which continues to say the phone will be coming out in the “coming weeks.” Samsung previously denied reports of a Galaxy Fold July release. First published at 6:12 a.m. PT on June 19.   Updated on June 20 at 4:21 p.m. PT: originally published under the headline “Galaxy Fold ‘ready to hit the market,’ Samsung exec says” Share your voice 3 Tags 60 Photos Samsunglast_img read more

Venezuela opposition leader puts more pressure on Maduro

first_imgVenezuela`s opposition leader Juan Guaido speaks during a news conference in Caracas, Venezuela, on 25 January 2019. Photo: ReutersVenezuela’s opposition leader stepped up his campaign to oust president Nicolas Maduro on Friday, calling for a “major demonstration” and rejecting an offer of talks with the socialist leader.National Assembly head Juan Guaido, who proclaimed himself acting president during street rallies by tens of thousands on Wednesday, said he wouldn’t attend a “fake dialogue” on a crisis that has left 26 dead this week in clashes between anti-Maduro activists and security forces.After four years of economic pain that has left Venezuelans short of food and medicine and driven more than two million to flee the country — which sits on the world’s largest oil reserves — the opposition found its voice this month in Guaido after Maduro was sworn in for a second presidential term following controversial elections.Mexico had offered to host talks between the rival leaders, and Maduro professed he was ready to go “wherever I have to.” But Guaido, who is backed by the US and several Latin American countries, told supporters in Caracas the public would remain in the streets “until we achieve an end to the usurpation, a transitional government and free elections.”He accused Maduro’s regime of only offering talks after “repression” failed to achieve its objectives.The European Union and US have ratcheted up the pressure on Maduro to agree to a new vote. An EU diplomat told AFP the bloc wanted “an immediate call for elections in the near future.”US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will underline US support for the Venezuelan people at a UN Security Council meeting Saturday and urge members to recognise Guaido as interim president, the State Department said.US issues economic warningPresident Donald Trump’s administration has spearheaded the international pressure on Maduro, who accuses Washington of being behind an attempted “coup,” by declaring his regime “illegitimate.”On Friday, Pompeo announced the US was naming a new envoy to lead efforts to help Venezuela “in achieving democracy.” Elliot Abrams was a central figure in former president Ronald Reagan’s controversial anti-communist campaigns in Central America during the 1980s.Washington’s immediate support for Guaido led to Maduro, who retains the powerful military’s backing, closing his country’s embassy and consulates in the US and breaking off diplomatic ties, giving US diplomatic staff until Saturday to leave the country.Guaido, though, urged the US diplomats to stay and keep the embassy’s doors open.Maduro’s deadline runs out on Saturday but even though it ordered non-emergency staff to leave Venezuela, the US has refused to comply fully with the order.Despite the diplomatic sparring, Maduro on Friday said his country will continue to sell oil to the United States, which private consultants say provides the largest source of cash to Venezuelan coffers.”If they buy our oil, we will sell oil,” Maduro said.But the US Treasury Department warned that “commercial transactions by the Venezuelan government, including those involving its state-owned enterprises and international reserves” must be consistent with Washington’s recognition of Guaido.Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov — whose country is Venezuela’s second-largest creditor and a military ally — denounced US policy on Venezuela as “destructive.”Spain pushed the EU to recognize Guaido’s claims to the presidency if no new elections are held, while Germany said it may follow suit.France warned Maduro against “any form of repression” of the opposition as UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said more than 350 people were arrested this week during the protests.Maduro’s re-election last year was boycotted by the opposition and rejected by the US, EU and UN as a sham — but the military has repeatedly reiterated its loyalty to the socialist leader.Galvanised oppositionGuaido, 35, has galvanised a previously divided opposition and even attempted to attract military support by offering an amnesty to anyone who disavows Maduro.In a Skype interview with Univision late Thursday he went one step further by suggesting Maduro could also be offered amnesty if he agrees to step down.But such an option would have to be evaluated, he said, because Maduro is responsible for the deaths of protesters.Guaido continues to seek military support, though, and has tasked his supporters with handing out copies of the amnesty law parliament is working on to soldiers on Sunday.Analysts at the Eurasia Group consultancy noted that while international recognition of Guaido as interim president cemented his position as the main opposition leader, his failure to win over the military meant Maduro’s fall “does not appear imminent.”Venezuela’s political crisis rapidly escalated after a group of soldiers rose up against Maduro this week and sparked a number of protests leading up to Wednesday’s rival rallies of pro and anti-Maduro groups.Guaido’s proclamation of himself as acting president drew recognition from major regional players including Brazil and Argentina, as well as the US.Trump has openly mused about military intervention in Venezuela, saying “all options are on the table,” but Russia said that “violates the fundamental norms of international law.”Maduro came to power in 2013 as the designated heir to the hugely-popular Hugo Chavez.last_img

Intl Kolkata Book Fair Take part in lucky draw and win books

first_imgKolkata: The book lovers will get chance to win a book library for their homes worth Rs 1 lakh if they get selected through a lucky draw during the 43rd International Kolkata Book Fair (IKBF) which will be inaugurated on January 31 in presence of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at Salt Lake’s Central Park. On Monday, the Publishers and Booksellers Guild announced that the reason behind the lucky draw is to facilitate the habit of reading.On Monday, Tridib Kumar Chatterjee, general secretary of the Guild, stated that the their slogan for the book lovers is ‘buy books and win a book library.’ He said: “We are going to arrange a lucky draw for the book lovers at the end of the Book Fair on February 11. Four winners will be chosen who will be given books worth Rs 1 lakh along with a designer book shelf so that they will not have to arrange for any space to keep those books. The winners will also get the chance to select the books of their choice.” The Guild authority further informed that there will three halls for the English publications which would be named after poet Nirendranath Chakraborty, writer Dibyendu Palit and author Atin Banerjee who passed away recently. The Little Magazine pavilion will be named after eminent poet Pinaki Thakur. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedApart from the focus country, the Guild has decided to highlight the literature and culture of one Indian Schedule Tribe during the Book Fair for the first time. It will help the people to come close to their cultures and get to know about them too. In the 43rd IKBF, the focus will be the Lepcha community. They will participate with a stall. Over 65 writers, including three established Dalit writers, will enrich the audience at the International Kolkata Book Fair. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata BoseApart from the attractions of the Book Fair, a smartphone application will soon be published for book lovers to locate stalls. Also, information regarding the Book Fair will be provided in the application as well. The application is being developed by the CESC for both android and IOS platforms. The details will also be there on the website. The Guild has also got in touch with the state government and got assurance that the Transport department will provide additional 190 shuttle buses during the Book Fair days from Howrah and Sealdah stations, Ultadanga, Garia, Behala and Shyambazar to Central Park Mela Ground.last_img read more