Facebook starts restoring view as public feature after 2018 security breach

first_img 0 Post a comment Share your voice Facebook Facebook logo James Martin/CNET Facebook is bringing back a version of a privacy feature that it disabled last year after hackers exploited the tool to access the emails, phone numbers and other personal information of 29 million users.The feature, called “view as public,” lets you see how your Facebook profile looks to people who aren’t friends with you on the social network. The social network said the version of the feature it’s restored wasn’t impacted by the security incident. Facebook decided not to restore the “view as specific person” feature that lets you see how your profile looks like for a particular friend because it’s trying simplify the tool. The option to see how your profile looks to the public was also more popular than the “view as specific person” feature, according to the company. Facebook declined to say how many people used the “view as” feature, which was located near the top of a user profile, before it was disabled. Facebook is restoring the feature globally over the next couple of days. Facebook temporarily turned off the “view as” feature in September 2018 after hackers exploited code associated with the feature and stole “access tokens” that could be used to take over people’s accounts. Access tokens aren’t your password, but they let people log in to accounts without needing it.The social network initially said 50 million users were affected by the breach, but said two weeks later that fewer users were impacted. Still, about 29 million Facebook users had their personal information, including phone numbers, emails and recent searches on the social network, compromised. Facebook reportedly thought that spammers masquerading as a digital marketing company were behind the attack. Facebook users can check if they were impacted by the breach by visiting the social network’s help center. The company is also adding an “edit public details” button to make it easier for users to find settings that allow them to control the profile information that the public can see.  Tags Security Tech Industrylast_img read more

Father planned Beauty murder to frame rapist Police

first_imgRapeFather of Beauty Akhter and two others were involved in the sensational murder of the 16-year-old girl, police said on Saturday, reports UNB.Victim’s father Sayed Ali, his relative Moyna Mia, and a hired professional killer murdered Beauty to implicate one Babul Mia in the crime, Bidhan Tripura, superintendent of police in Habiganj, said at a press conference in Habiganj.He said Beauty’s father Sayed gave confessional statements before Habiganj judicial magistrate Touhidul Islam under section 164 over the murder earlier in the day.Beauty’s father planned to kill her assuming her fade marital prospect after the incident of kidnap and rape, said Shamsur Rahman Bhuiyan, additional superintendent of police and also the head of a three-member probe committee formed over the murder.Moyna Mia took the opportunity to take revenge against Babul as his wife was defeated by Babul’s mother in recently held Union Parisad election, he said.The trio killed Beauty during the wee hours of 17 March and dumped the body in Brahmandora Haor, he added.Beauty of Brahmondora village in Shayestaganj upazila went missing on 16 March and police recovered her body from haor area the next day.According to the case statement, Babul Mia kidnapped Beauty, 16, of Brahmondora village in Shayestaganj upazila on 21 January and raped her for a month.Later on 4 March, the victim’s family members filed a murder case with Woman and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal.On 18 March, her father Sayed Ali filed the case against two people with names, including Babul, and several unknown people with Shayestaganj police station.As Babul started to threat Beauty’s family members for withdrawing the case she was sent to her grandfather’s house at Gunipur village in Lakhai upazila of Habiganj.Later, Babul was arrested in Beanibazar area of Sylhet on 31 March.Police also detained Babul’s mother and one Ismail of Brahmondora village for their alleged involvement in the incident.The incident created a widespread outcry among people when a photograph of the victim’s body lying on a field went viral on Facebook.last_img read more

Khaleda bail extended until 19 July

first_imgThe Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson Khaleda Zia. Prothom Alo File PhotoThe High Court on Thursday extended the bail of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairperson Khaleda Zia until 19 July in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.The HC bench of justice M Enayetur Rahim and justice Md Mostafizur Rahman passed the order following a petition filed by Khaleda’s lawyer, reports UNB.The court also adjourned the hearing on the review petition filed by the BNP chief against a lower court verdict sentencing her to five years’ imprisonment in the graft case.Earlier, in the day, the HC started hearing on the review petition around 11:00am following the order of the Supreme Court.Khaleda’s lawyer Abdur Rezak Khan read out the FIR from the paper book while AJ Mohammad Ali read out the charge sheet before the court.Senior BNP leader Moudud Ahmed said the bail of Khaleda Zia in the case expired today and the lawyers filed a petition before the court seeking extension of the bail.On 5 July, a petition was filed with the High Court seeking extension of its earlier order granting four-month interim bail to Khaleda Zia in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.On 12 March, the HC granted four-month bail to Khaleda in the case which was to expire today (12 July).On 8 February, the Dhaka Special Court-5 convicted the former prime minister and BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and sentenced her to five years’ imprisonment in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.She was then sent to the abandoned central jail on Nazimuddin Road in the capital.last_img read more